GREEN ANIMATOR-CURATOR Job Description
Westmount Park United Church
Living Church, Faith in Nature Centre
GREEN ANIMATOR-CURATOR Job Description
Part-time position: 10 hours per week @ $25 per hour
Deadline to apply: Sept 17, 2017
Westmount Park United Church is a small mostly elderly church community with a distinct identity. We worship at 4.30pm each Sunday, with a social time after worship.
In 2015 WPUC developed its Faith in Nature program and started with the Climate Café, a monthly educational meeting covering local and international concerns for nature and the environment. In 2016, we created an outdoor co-op garden that helped strengthen our identity as a living church.
In March 2017, WPUC created the 600 sq ft space Nature Niche in our Sanctuary for an educational centre geared toward all ages. We started off with AV equipment, a hydroponic system growing plants and Canadian Wildlife Federation resources.
In June 2017 we won a grant for three years of funding for a new position of animator/curator for our Nature Niche. We are looking for an animator/curator comfortable working with all age groups who can help develop our Faith in Nature program as well as our Nature Niche.
GOALS FOR THE A/C
- To bring an empty space to life
- To bring people to the space
- To care for the indoor plants, hydroponic towers and outdoor co-op garden
- To support United Church participation in the Nature Niche.
- To help in fundraising
- Create a school-visit program for children to learn about nature, the environment and foster hope that they can make a positive difference.
- Create a senior’s program to help them understand and appreciate how they can make immediate and long term contributions to nature and the environment
- Promote awareness of the Nature Niche among local children and seniors, and general public of Westmount.
- Participate in the ongoing development of the Climate Café.
- Coordinate the running of the Coop Garden (four raised beds outside the church), care for the NutriTower hydroponic systems and house plant collection. (See photos of the NutriTowers on our Faith in Nature page)
- Encourage informal visits to the Nature Niche by the general public.
- Share in conceiving a design and development project for Nature Niche,
- Conceive and implement income generating activities in the Nature Niche.
- Contribute to the Congregation’s Sunday Service knowledge and understanding of nature and our place in it.
- Sharing in the creation of a business plan for the continuity of work (Fall 2020 onwards).
- A people-person, with the ability to easily relate to a wide range of people of different ages and children in particular.
- Medium to high computer literacy, including ease with social media.
- The proven ability to use educational resources with groups of children and/or adults.
- A love of nature and a knowledge of environmental science, biology, botany, ecology or other related sciences .
- The proven ability to care for plants and an appreciation of their role in education and potential to create a love of nature in general.
- The ability to have vision, flexibility, take initiatives and have vision with a new project in the making.
- The ability to work with a team but also independently as need.
- The willingness to take direction from the Project Director (Minister Neil Whitehouse).
- A commitment to fundraising to continue this project after the funding is completed.
- Ability to organize, write reports, present proposals and to understand the conceptual basis of the work.
- Comfortable working within all of the Montreal region.
- Fully bilingual in spoken French and English
- Open-mindedness on faith and religion, to be present regularly in the worship service.
- Criminal record clearance, as per all United Church employees working with children. This needs to be obtained immediately if not current and is a condition to the job contract.
ASSETS NOT ESSENTIAL
- Flexibility to increase the hours of work should funds become available, up to 20 hours weekly.
- Experience with educational project development and management
- Professional formation and experience of teaching children and adults
- Experience with blogging and / or video production
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Position starts immediately, within four weeks after the interviews.
- The A/C will report to the project director (minister), Rev. Neil Whitehouse at a weekly meeting and receive support and evaluation from the Ministry and Personnel Committee of the church.
- The A/C will give monthly written reports for the Official Board and an annual report for the Church.
- The A/C will participate regularly in Sunday Worship, as an educator and without needing religious affiliation.
- Contract is for one year to be renewed each year. An evaluation will take place after a four month probation period.
- The rate of pay is 25$ per hour for 10 hours of work per week paid monthly.
- There are no benefits or pensions paid as part of this work.
- The A/C is responsible entirely for the declaration and payment of taxes due to this contract.
To apply please submit your up-to-date CV and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org